We are committed to protecting visitors to our website and any of the information they provide to us. We take your privacy seriously, please read the full document to be clear on what our policy is.
If you would like to know more or have any questions at all or please do not hesitate to contact us.
Big Sky Finance totally respects the privacy and rights of all individuals and businesses we deal with. This privacy notice documents how we collect and process personal information from visitors to our website to individuals and businesses we deal with in our day to day business operating and providing services.
This notice should be read in conjunction with our website and will be updated from time to time. We would encourage you to review the notice whenever you visit our website and/or before providing us with personal data, to ensure you have access to the most up to date information at that time.
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), the Data Controller in respect of any personal data controlled by the business is Matthew Richardson, whose telephone number is 0203 7455 893 and email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Why we think you should you read this document?
To enable us to give advice we will ask you to provide us with detailed personal information relating to your current circumstances, your financial situation and, in some cases, your health and family health history (This is known as ‘Your Personal Data’). This document is important as it allows us to explain to you what we need to do with Your Personal Data, and the various rights you have in relation to Your Personal Data.
What do we mean by “Your Personal Data”?
Your Personal Data means any information that describes or relates to your personal circumstances. Your Personal Data may identify you directly, for example, your name, address, date of birth, National Insurance number. Your Personal Data may also identify you indirectly, for example, your employment situation, your physical and mental health history, or any other information that could be associated with your cultural or social identity.
In the context of providing you with assistance in relation to your Financial, Mortgage, Loan and Insurance Your Personal Data may include:
- Title, names, date of birth, gender, nationality, civil/marital status, contact details, addresses and documents that are necessary to verify your identity.
- Employment and remuneration information, (including salary/bonus schemes/overtime/sick pay/other benefits), employment history.
- Bank account details, tax information, loans and credit commitments, personal credit history, sources of income and expenditure, family circumstances and details of dependents.
- Health status and history, details of treatment and prognosis, medical reports (further details are provided below specifically with regard to the processing we may undertake in relation to this type of information).
- Any pre-existing Financial, Mortgage, Loan and Insurance products and the terms and conditions relating to these.
The basis upon which our Firm will deal with Your Personal Data
When we speak with you about your Financial, Mortgage, Loan and Insurance requirements we do so on the basis that both parties are entering a contract for the supply of services.
In order to perform that contract, and to advise on and arrange the products you require, we have the right to use Your Personal Data for the purposes detailed.
Alternatively, either in the course of initial discussions with you or when the contract between us has come to an end for whatever reason, we have the right to use Your Personal Data provided it is in our legitimate business interest to do so and your rights are not affected. For example, we may need to respond to requests from our Compliance Service Provider, Mortgage lenders and/or insurance providers relating to the advice we have given to you, or to make contact with you to seek feedback on the service you received.
Occasionally we may use Your Personal Data for responsibilities we may owe our regulator The Financial Conduct Authority, or for wider compliance with any legal or regulatory obligation to which we might be subject. In such circumstances, we would be processing Your Personal Data in order to meet a legal, compliance or other regulatory obligation to which we are subject.
The basis upon which we will process certain parts of Your Personal Data
Where you ask us to assist you with for example your insurance needs, in particular, life insurance and insurance that may assist you in the event of an accident or illness, we will ask you information about your ethnic origin, your health and medical history (This is known as ‘Your Special Data’). We will record and use Your Special Data in order to make enquiries of insurance providers in relation to insurance products that may meet your needs and to provide you with advice and guidance regarding the suitability of any product that may be available to you.
If you have parental responsibility for children, it is also likely that we will record information on our systems that relate to those children and that may include their Special Data.
The arrangement of certain types of insurance may involve disclosure by you to us of information relating to historic or current criminal convictions or offences (known as “Criminal Disclosures”). This is relevant to insurance related activities such as underwriting, claims and fraud management.
We will use Special Data and any Criminal Disclosures in the same way as Your Personal Data generally, as set out in this Privacy Notice.
Information on Special Category Data and Criminal Disclosures must be capable of being exchanged freely between insurance intermediaries such as our Firm, and insurance providers, to enable customers to secure the important insurance protection that their needs require.
How do we collect Your Personal Data?
We will collect and record Your Personal Data mainly direct from you, but additionally from a variety of sources. You will provide information during our initial meetings or conversations with you to establish your current circumstances, needs and preferences in relation to Financial, Mortgage, Loan and Insurance products. You will provide information to us in writing and verbally, including email messaging services
We may also obtain some information from third parties, for example your employer, credit file companies, and searches of information in the public domain such as the voters roll. We will only use technology solutions to assist in the collection of Your Personal Data for example software that can verify your credit status if we have consent from you for us or our nominated processor to access your information in this manner. We would not require your consent to obtain electronic ID checks, but will inform you of how such software operates and the purpose for which it is used.
What do we do with your Personal Data?
In the course of handling Your Personal Data, we will:
Record and store Your Personal Data in our paper files, mobile devices and on our computer systems (websites, email, hard drives, and cloud facilities). This information can only be accessed by employees of our Firm and only when it is necessary to provide our service to you and to perform any administration tasks associated with or incidental to that service.
Submit Your Personal Data to Mortgage or Commercial Lenders, Insurance Product Providers, and Conveyancers both in paper form and online via a secure portal. It is essential that we are able to provide this information to a third party to allow us to progress and process any enquiry or application made on your behalf.
Use Your Personal Data for the purposes of responding to any queries you may have in relation to any Financial product, Mortgage, Loan and Insurance you may take out, or to inform you of any developments in relation to those products and/or policies of which we might become aware.
How and why we may share your Personal Data?
From time to time Your Personal Data will be shared with:
- Conveyancing Firms and Insurance Providers in addition to Mortgage, Loan, and other Financial institutions.
- Third parties who we believe will be able to assist us with your enquiry or application, or who are able to support your needs as identified. These third parties will include but may not be limited to, our Compliance Advisers, Product specialists, estate agents, providers of legal services such as estate planners, conveyancing, surveyors and valuers (in each case where we believe this to be required due to your particular circumstances).
- Data will be passed to Credit Reference Agencies and searches conducted to validate your identity, your credit history and your criminal records. The Credit Reference Agencies/Criminal Records Bureau may check the details supplied against any databases (public or otherwise) to which they have access. They may also use the details in the future to assist other companies for verification purposes. We may also use information gained from conducting the credit search to identify the most suitable lender for your circumstances. A record of the search will be retained but will not affect future credit. By signing this you are agreeing to a search being undertaken in this way.
Your Personal Data will only be shared for the purposes set out in this customer privacy notice, i.e. to progress your Mortgage, Loan, Conveyancing or other Financial or Insurance enquiry and to provide you with our professional services.
Please be assured that sharing Your Personal Data with a third party does not entitle to send you marketing or promotional messages: it is shared to ensure we are able fulfil our responsibilities to you, and as otherwise set out in this Customer Privacy Notice.
We would expect that in delivering our services Your Personal Data will at all times be retained within the European Economic Area.
Retention and Security of Your Personal Data
Your privacy is important to us and we will keep Your Personal Data secure in accordance with our legal responsibilities. We will take reasonable steps to safeguard Your Personal Data against it being accessed unlawfully or maliciously by a third party.
We also expect you to take reasonable steps to safeguard your own privacy when transferring information to us, such as not sending confidential information over unprotected email, ensuring email attachments are password protected or encrypted and only using secure methods of postage when original documentation is being sent to us.
Your Personal Data will be retained by us either electronically or in paper format for a minimum of six years, or in instances whereby we have a legal right to such information we will retain records indefinitely.
Your rights in relation to Your Personal Data
- request copies of Your Personal Data that is under our control.
- ask us to further explain how we use Your Personal Data.
- ask us to correct, delete or require us to restrict or stop using Your Personal Data (details as to the extent to which we can do this will be provided at the time of any such request).
- ask us to send an electronic copy of Your Personal Data to another organisation should you wish.
- change the basis of any consent you may have provided to enable us to market to you in the future (including withdrawing any consent in its entirety).
How to contact us in relation to the use of Your Personal Data
If you have any questions or comments about this document or wish to make contact in order to exercise any of your rights set out within it please contact:
Matthew Richardson – email@example.com – 0203 7455 893
If we feel we have a legal right not to deal with your request, or to act in a different way to how you have requested, we will inform you of this at the time.
You should also contact us as soon as possible on you becoming aware of any unauthorised disclosure of Your Personal Data, so that we may investigate and fulfil our own regulatory obligations.
If you have any concerns or complaints as to how we have handled Your Personal Data you may lodge a complaint with the UK’s data protection regulator, the ICO, who can be contacted through their website at or by writing to Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
This policy was last reviewed on 23rd July 2021